Neck pain or stiff neck is a common problem. It is more frequently seen in women than men. And most people will experience pain in the neck at some point in their life.
What does neck pain feel like?
- Pain is generally located in the neck area, as well as stiffness in the neck muscles.
- The pain may radiate down to the shoulder or between the shoulder blades.
- It may also radiate out into the arm, the hand or up into the head, causing a one-sided or double-sided headache.
- The muscles in the neck are tense, sore and feel hard to the touch.
- The pain at the base of the skull may be accompanied by a feeling of weakness in the shoulders and arms.
- There may be a prickly or tingling sensation in the arms and fingers.